English midfielder Laurence Wootton signs with Ohio State men’s soccer program
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Brian Maisonneuve, head coach of the Buckeyes, announced the signing of Laurence Wootton to a National Letter of Intent to play for the Ohio State men’s soccer program beginning this fall. He will be a freshman during the 2020 season.
Wootton, a 5-foot-9-inch, 160-pound midfielder, is a native of Halstead, England. He recently played for Cardiff City Academy (club).
Quote from Brian Maisonneuve on Laurence Wootton: “Laurence is a big-time player and we are so happy to add him to our roster. He comes to us from Cardiff City’s Reserve Team (u23’s) and has incredible versatility. We have seen him play the 6, 8, and 10 at a very high level and he’s played them all very well. He has an incredible engine, very good in possession and tactically has a great feel for the game. His maturity and attitude will add to our locker room. He will definitely make an impact on our program. We are extremely excited to add Laurence to our roster.”
Laurence Wootton Profile
- Son of Margaret and Mark Wootton
- Played for the Cardiff City Academy (3 yrs.) and Stoke City Academy (10 yrs.)
- Has one older brother, Charlie
- Hopes to play professionally following academic career
- Enjoys going to and watching movies and working around the family farm
- Reaching the Welsh Cup Final in 2018 with Cardiff City and winning the Sentinel Cup