CHICAGO (Via U.S. Soccer) – The U.S. Soccer Development Academy has released the schedules for the league’s 2017 Summer Showcase and Playoffs, which will be played at Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana from June 20-26.
Following the event, the USSDA postseason will continue with Knockout Round games, slated for July 6 and 7 at the host locations. The season will conclude at the National Training Center in Carson, California with the Academy Championships on July 14 and 16.
The dates for the event have been selected based on survey responses, feedback from clubs, academic calendar/schedule and to maximize the safety and experience for players and clubs. Once again, the event will host the U-14, U-15/16, and U-17/18 Development Academy age groups.
The benefits of continuing the combined Showcase and Playoffs schedule include an improved schedule and environment for all Academy clubs, players, scouts and spectators. By combining efforts and resources, it allows Academy Directors the ability to attend all of their club’s games. Having the age groups overlap also provides opportunities for elite players to play up with older age groups in Showcases.
The U-14 games will be held June 20-23 with June 22 as the rest day. The U-15/16 and U-17/18 playoffs will be played on June 22, 24 and 26; the rest days for playoffs will be on June 23 and 25.
The remaining U-15/16 and combined aged Showcase games will be played over four days from June 22-25 with half of the teams resting on June 23 and the other half resting on June 24. The Showcase games are for all U-15/16 teams that do not qualify for playoffs. If both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 teams do not qualify, the club may bring one combined aged team of U-15/16/17/18 players, which will play against similarly-aged combined teams.
Summer Showcase and Playoffs
- June 20: 46 U-14 Showcase games – 2:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm
- June 21: 46 U-14 Showcase games 2:00pm, 4:00pm, 6:00pm
- June 22: U-14 Rest Day; 21 U-15/16 Showcase games – 10:00am, 12:00pm; 16 U-17/18 playoff games – 5:00pm, 6:00pm and 16 U-15/16 Playoff games – 2:30pm, 3:30pm
- June 23: 46 U-14 Showcase games – 10:00am, 12:00pm; 11 U-15/16 Showcase games – 2:00pm, 3:00pm; Playoffs rest day
- June 24: 10 U-15/16 Showcase games – 12:00pm, 1:00pm; 16 U-17/18 playoff games – 5:00pm, 6:00pm and 16 U-15/16 Playoff games – 2:30pm, 3:30pm
- June 25: 21 U-15/16 Showcase games – 10:00am, 12:00pm; Playoffs rest day
- June 26: 16 U-17/18 playoff games – 5:00pm, 6:00pm and 16 U-15/16 Playoff games – 2:30pm, 3:30pm
For a calendar overview of the postseason schedule click here.
*Matchups for the Knockout Round will be determined by the Academy Staff and Technical Staff based on a number of factors – in no particular order – that will include (but not be limited to): competitive integrity, geography (to reduce travel), and scheduling logistics.
- July 5: U-15/16 age group travel day
- July 6: U-15/16 age group Knockout Round games; U-17/18 age group travel day
- July 7: U-17/18 age group Knockout Round games; U-15/16 age group reschedule date and travel day
- July 8: U-17/18 age group reschedule date and travel day
Development Academy Championships
- July 14: U-15/16 and U-17/18 Semifinals
- July 16: U-15/16 and U-17/18 Finals and 3rd Place games
A Look Back at the 2016 Postseason
After winning their groups during the Playoffs and advancing through the Knockout Round, the 2016 Development Academy Championships saw FC Dallas emerge as the winners in both the U-15/16 and U-17/18 age groups. It was the first time a single club has swept the championships in both age groups in the same year; FC Dallas also became the first club to repeat as champions in an age group, having also won the U-15/16 championship in 2015. The U-17/18 age group also saw Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Players Development Academy and Nomads SC qualify for the championships. In the U-15/16 age group, LA Galaxy, Real Colorado and Chicago Fire rounded out the Championship field.