US Club Soccer targets May 18 as date for local league play to resume
US Club Soccer CEO Kevin Payne provided an encouraging update for membership on Monday, announcing May 18 as the target return to play date for many local leagues.
Although the recommendation remains subject to change – and will vary based on specific local government guidelines around the country – the new target date appears to be within reach for some regions, where stay-at-home orders are beginning to be lifted in phases.
When local league play does resume, Payne said that US Club Soccer will require its members to adhere by federal and local safety measures. See below for the full letter from Payne:
As a number of states and local jurisdictions begin planning for a phased return to normalcy, US Club Soccer has targeted May 18th as the date we hope to return decision-making authority to our local leagues. This is subject to change, of course, but it is our hope that our members can begin to sensibly return to the fields after that, subject to some requirements and recommendations.
The return-to-play decision is a complicated one. We understand just how important it is for clubs, coaches, parents and players to play organized soccer again. But, as parts of the country begin to open up over the coming weeks, we encourage everyone to exercise extreme caution and continue to abide by public health experts’ guidelines for hygiene, physical distancing, facemask use, etc. You can read about those guidelines on this CDC web page.
When play does resume in your area, we’ll require compliance with safety measures that adhere to the CDC and federal and local governments. We will share a comprehensive list before returning to play.
The federal guidelines for states to resume business activities are outlined on this federal “Opening America” web page. In this phased approach, “schools and organized youth activities” – including sporting venues – are listed in the second phase, which is applicable for states and regions with no evidence of a rebound and that satisfy all establishing criteria.
We’re hopeful that the continued suspension of activities until May 18th puts us in a position to begin Phase 2. We will continue to monitor the situation and follow up the week prior with a return-to-play decision.
In the meantime, please visit usclubsoccer.org/coronavirus for information on the Paycheck Protection Program, CARES Act, unemployment benefits by state, etc. We know how difficult this time is for everyone, and we urge everyone to remain resolute in taking the proper precautions, so that the progress we have collectively made in this fight against coronavirus will lead us to returning to the field soon.
Stay strong and stay safe.