Georgetown goalkeeper Tomas Romero signs with LAFC
WASHINGTON – Georgetown University men’s soccer goalkeeper Tomas Romero has signed a professional contract with MLS club Los Angeles FC.
Romero had his Homegrown rights transferred to LAFC to the Philadelphia Union during the 2021 MLS SuperDraft and officially signed with the club yesterday.
The goalkeeper missed the fall campaign as Athletics activities were on pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2019, Romero played a significant role in the program’s first NCAA Championship in a thrilling 3-3 double overtime victory as GU prevailed 7-6 in penalty kicks.
Along with Georgetown’s third NCAA national championship in school history, the Hoyas set a new program record for wins in a season finishing the year with a mark of 20-1-3 and finished the season on a 17-game unbeaten streak dating back to September 24 at Louisville. The squad also won the BIG EAST Regular Season as well as the BIG EAST Championship for the third-consecutive year.
Cherry Hill, N.J. / YSC Academy
• Appeared in 12 games for the Hoyas with as many starts playing 1131:24 minutes in goal.
• Allowed eight goals for a 0.64 goals-against average.
• Tallied 30 saves for a 0.789 save percentage.
• Went 9-0-3 in goal with seven shutouts to his credit, the team had 13 for the season.
• Named the BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week on Nov. 4.