Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta scores a knuckleball FK against Aston Villa
In Arsenal’s 3-0 win over Aston Villa this weekend, Mikel Arteta scored on a spectacular free kick from over 30 yards out. The goal puts the Gunners solidly in third place, which means a spot in next year’s UEFA Champions League.
While the commentators claimed the ball was accelerating even as it traveled – a physical impossibility – the strike nonetheless “on a winding rope” and beyond stopable by any GK unless they were already moving in anticipation.In fact, a closer look sees the ‘keeper in the right position to start, but a minor flinch to the right is all Arteta’s swerving miracle needed.
Can you strike a ball this clean? Who needs bending when you can pick an open spot and just hit it there?
below are several youtube embeds of the strike – just in case some are taken down.
FEATURED TRYOUTS & CAMPS
- Loudoun Premier Cup 2023 - Applications Open Now
- Commonwealth Clash 2023 - Take Labor Day Weekend Off
- Spain 2023 Summer Academy Program
- Earn Cash Back While You Travel For Youth Soccer
- Official Elite Summer Soccer Camps with Elite Pro Clubs in Europe