U.S. U-17 MNT faces Trinidad & Tobago on Monday in CONCACAF group play
(Via U.S. Soccer) – The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team resumes Group A play at the 2015 CONCACAF U-17 Championship when it faces Trinidad & Tobago at 6 p.m. ET on Monday, March 2, at Estadio Francisco Morazán in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. The game is live on FOX Sports 2 and Univision Deportes.
The USA took hold of first place in the group with a resounding 5-0 victory against Cuba on Feb. 27. Joe Gallardo led the way with three goals, while Hugo Arellano and Alejandro Zendejas each contributed a goal. The U-17 MNT’s plus-5 goal differential puts the team ahead of Guatemala (1-0-0, plus-3 goal differential) and host Honduras (1-0-0, plus-2 goal differential).
Trinidad & Tobago dropped its group opener 4-1 go Guatemala on Feb. 27. Keston Julien’s 45th-minute goal cut Guatemala’s lead to 2-1, but Guatemala responded in first-half stoppage time and padded its lead early in the second half.
Here is breakdown of the USA’s history against Trinidad & Tobago in this tournament:
- The USA has faced Trinidad & Tobago eight previous times in this tournament, which ties for the most games (along with Honduras) against the Group A opponents. The U.S. is 4-1-3 all-time.
- The first two meetings came at the 1983 CONCACAF U-16 Championship. The USA and Trinidad drew 1-1 in the opening round on Aug. 30, and then played to a scoreless draw through regulation in the title match on Sept. 3. The U.S. won the tournament title 5-3 in penalties.
- The U.S. earned a 4-0 win to open the preliminary round of the 1987 CONCACAF U-16 Championship on Feb. 15.
- At the 1988 CONCACAF U-16 Championship, the USA lost 1-0 to Trinidad on Nov. 20 to cap off the group stage, but made up for that result with a 1-0 U.S. win on Nov. 27 in the tournament’s final round in Port of Spain, Trinidad.
- At the 1991 CONCACAF U-16 Championship, the USA and Trinidad & Tobago drew 1-1 in the final round on March 31.
- The USA’s top offensive performance against Trinidad was at the 1994 CONCACAF U-16 Championship with a 5-3 victory on Nov. 5 in the group stage.
- The last time the U.S. and Trinidad & Tobago faced each other was at the 2007 CONCACAF U-17 Tournament, where the USA garnered a 3-0 victory on April 30. Alex Nimo scored twice, with Brek Shea assisting his second goal. Ellis McLoughlin contributed the other U.S. tally off of a Sheanon Williams assist.