Oguchi Onyewu on Champions League adventure with Malaga
Nobody expected Spanish side Malaga to advance to the final 16 of the UEFA Champions League. Even more surprising is that American Oguchi Onyewu is there with them.
Manuel Pellegrini’s team came through their play-off with Panathinaikos and are already guaranteed to finish above AC Milan at the top of Group C. Not bad for their first crack at Europe’s elite club competition.
After setbacks at Newcastle and AC Milan, Onyewu found himself at Sporting Lisbon, where he finally found success on the field and got his career back on track. Onyewu then hit a low point in his career when the Portuguese club told him he was no longer needed.
The Washington, DC native is now looking to stay in La Liga and with Malaga.
“As angry as I was to have to leave Portugal, I have found myself in an even better situation here in Spain.
“Life is a journey and, if you are brave enough to ride it, it is going to take you where you need to be.”
FEATURED TRYOUTS & CAMPS
- Loudoun Premier Cup 2023 - Applications Open Now
- Commonwealth Clash 2023 - Take Labor Day Weekend Off
- Spain 2023 Summer Academy Program
- Earn Cash Back While You Travel For Youth Soccer
- Official Elite Summer Soccer Camps with Elite Pro Clubs in Europe