Mia Hamm to appear at Super Y League finals
U.S. soccer icon Mia Hamm will appear on behalf of the Army National Guard at the 2012 Super Y-League North American Finals.
She will help with the distribution of a limited edition Super Y-League North American Finals/Army National Guard medal to all players. Hamm will be at the Super Y-League North American Finals at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida on Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Participating teams will be invited stop by the Army National Guard exhibit to acquire their limited edition medals and enjoy a photo opportunity with Hamm.
“Bringing in a soccer legend like Mia Hamm will certainly generate a lot of buzz and draw positive attention to what the National Guard is doing in youth soccer,” SFC David Therrell said.
Hamm is widely recognized as the world’s best all-around women’s soccer player. She was the youngest player ever to play for the U.S. National Team (age 15) and retired in 2004 after 17 years, two world championships, and two Olympic Gold medals. Her records in appearances and goals, MVP awards and overall performance put her at the top of the sport.
Hamm’s list of accomplishments includes:
• Three-time NCAA All-American (University of North Carolina)
• Four-time NCAA National Champion
• Two-time Hermann Award winner
• Led the nation in scoring for three NCAA seasons
• Youngest player (19) on the winning U.S. Team at the 1991 FIFA Women’s World Cup
• First U.S. player to score 100 goals in their international career
• Named FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year in 2001 & 2002
The Army National Guard is the Official Military Branch of USL and the primary sponsor of the 2012 Super Y-League North American Finals, set for Dec. 7-11 at IMG Academy.