Georgetown men’s soccer captains announced for 2021 season
WASHINGTON – Georgetown University Head Men’s Soccer Coach Brian Wiese announced the 2021 team captains this week. Graduate student Ethan Koehler and senior Sean Zawadzki along with junior Dante Polvara were selected by the coaching staff and their teammates to lead the 2021 squad on the Hilltop this fall.
“This is a great group of leaders,” said Wiese. “The players selected captains that coincidentally span three different classes in our team, with a wonderful breadth of experience and perspective. We are in good hands.”
Olmsted Falls, Ohio / Olmsted Falls
- Zawadzki was named First Team United Soccer Coaches All-East Region and Second Team All-BIG EAST.
- The midfielder started all 13 games he appeared in this past season.
- Zawadzki moved into the backline against St. John’s following the departure of All-American Rio Hope-Gund.
- He was a Preseason All-BIG EAST selection.
- He has appeared in 56 career games with 48 starts tallying three goals and two assists.
- Zawadzki was a 2020 captain for the Blue & Gray.
Maplewood, N.J. / Columbia
- Koehler was named a 2020 captain for the Hoyas following the departure of Hope-Gund and Derek Dodson for MLS careers.
- He appeared in four games with two starts last season going 2-0-1 and posting a shutout.
- The goalkeeper managed nine saves and a 0.95 goals-against average in 283 minutes of action in the net.
- In three seasons on the Hilltop, he has appeared in nine games with five starts.
- Koehler has a career 0.62 goals-against average going 5-0-1 with three total shutouts and 24 saves.
Pleasantville, N.Y. / Brunswick
- Selected as a United Soccer Coaches First Team All-American, the midfielder was a First Team All-East Region award winner.
- Polvara was a MAC Hermann Trophy semifinalist, the 2020 BIG EAST Midfielder of the Year as well as a First Team All-BIG EAST selection.
- Additionally, he earned team MVP honors.
- He started all 14 games for the Blue & Gray and led the team in scoring with eight goals and two assists for 18 points.
- Two of his goals were game winners against Seton Hall and at St. John’s.
- He was named the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week on 3/1 and also earned two nods to the weekly honor roll this season.
- Polvara has appeared in 38 career games with 21 starts. He has 12 goals, including two game winners, and four assists to his credit for 28 points.