USWNT plays Czech Republic to 0-0 draw in SheBelieves Cup opener
CARSON, Calif. – The U.S. Women’s National Team opened 2022 with a hard-fought scoreless draw against Czech Republic at Dignity Health Sports Park in the seventh edition of the SheBelieves Cup. With the result, the team extends its unbeaten home streak to 63 matches.
The USA came out of the gate strong as the team pressed in the attack, creating a series of dangerous chances throughout the first ten minutes of the match including a third minute cross from Mallory Pugh that caught Czech Republic goalkeeper Barbora Votíková off guard, but she was able to push it off the crossbar and it was subsequently cleared out.
The Americans continued to dominate the first half, outshooting the visitors 10-1 in the first 45 minutes of play with forward Catarina Macario and midfielder Rose Lavelle posing a threat with their connections. Lavelle, the Budweiser Player of the Match, had an excellent game, exciting the crowd as she consistently broke down the Czech defense with her dribbling and passing. She had several of the USA’s best chances to score.
The scene would repeat itself throughout the half as Votíková put on a strong performance, tallying eight saves and claiming one cross by the end of the contest. The USA did well to get into dangerous areas on the field and put together some fluid attacking sequences, but tough Czech defending, a lack of quality on services into the box and fine saves from Votíková thwarted the U.S. goal scoring. The USA went on to outshoot the visitors 18-6, tallying eight shots on target compared to one for Czech Republic.
The first of two milestone substitutions on the night came in the 61st minute as forward Trinity Rodman came on for Pugh. At 19-years-old, Rodman is the first teenager to earn a cap for the USWNT since Tierna Davidson in 2018 and just the fourth teenager to be capped by the USWNT since 2010, joining Lindsey Horan, Pugh and Davidson. She is also the 11th player to earn a cap under head coach Vlatko Andonovski and the seventh player to debut for the USA in its last three games (five on Nov. 27 vs. Australia, one on Nov. 30 vs. Australia and one tonight vs. Czech Republic).
In the 72nd minute, defender Becky Sauerbrunn came into the match for Davidson to make her 200th USWNT appearance, making her just the 12th player in USWNT history to achieve that feat. The last USWNT player to reach 200 caps was Hope Solo, who did so during the 2016 Olympics. A two-time World Cup champion and 2012 Olympic gold medalist, Sauerbrunn has started in 169 of her 200 caps. At 36 years of age, she is the oldest player in USWNT history to reach 200 caps.
The 2022 SheBelieves Cup resumes on Sunday, Feb. 20, with another doubleheader at Dignity Health Sports Park. The USA will play the first match of the day against New Zealand (Noon PT on ABC and PrendeTV), while the Czech Republic will face Iceland (3 p.m. PT on ESPN3) in the second match of the day. The tournament concludes on Wednesday, Feb. 23 at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, Texas, with New Zealand taking on the Czech Republic (5 p.m. CT on ESPN3) and the USA facing Iceland in the nightcap (8 p.m. CT on ESPN2 and PrendeTV).
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
- The USWNT’s 200-cap club is now comprised of Kristine Lilly (354 caps), Carli Lloyd (316), Christie Pearce Rampone (311), Mia Hamm (276), Julie Foudy (274), Abby Wambach (255), Joy Fawcett (241), Heather O’Reilly (231), Tiffeny Milbrett (206), Hope Solo (202), Kate Markgraf (201) and Becky Sauerbrunn (200).
- Defender Kelley O’Hara captained the U.S. for just the second time in her career – and the first time since her 100th cap celebration match in 2017 – as she made her 149th international appearance.
- O’Hara also became the first player to play in every edition of the SheBelieves Cup since its inception in 2016.
- Goalkeeper Casey Murphy earned her third cap as she made her third consecutive start for the USWNT, tallying one save on the night. She earned her second career shutout.
- During this home unbeaten streak, the USA has outscored its opponents 227-27, including a 97-3 margin during its last 25 matches at home, all of which have been wins save for the 0-0 draws tonight with Czech Republic and with Korea Republic on Oct. 21, 2021.
- With the result, head coach Vlatko Andonovski is now 28-2-6 all-time with the USWNT.
- The USA has not allowed a goal on home soil in nearly two years, last conceding at home on March 11, 2020, in a 3-1 win over Japan in the final match of the 2020 SheBelieves Cup. Since then, they’ve kept a program record 15 straight home clean sheets, the longest such streak in program history.
- This was the first non-win ever for the USWNT in Carson, Calif., but the USA is still unbeaten at the venue, going 16-0-1 since the first game played there in Sept. of 2003, a few months after the stadium opened.
– 2022 SHEBELIEVES CUP MATCH REPORT –
Match: United States Women’s National Team vs. Czech Republic Women’s National Team
Date: February 17, 2022
Competition: 2022 SheBelieves Cup
Venue: Dignity Health Sports Park; Carson, Calif.
Kickoff: 8:08 p.m. local (11:08 p.m. ET)
Weather: 58 degrees, clear
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 0 0 0
CZE 0 0 0
USA: 18-Casey Murphy; 5-Kelley O’Hara (Capt.), 15-Alana Cook, 12-Tierna Davidson (4-Becky Sauerbrunn, 72), 19-Emily Fox (14-Emily Sonnett, 46); 17-Andi Sullivan, 6-Morgan Gautrat (22-Kristie Mewis, 46), 16-Rose Lavelle (13-Ashley Sanchez, 72); 11-Sophia Smith (23-Margaret Purce, 60), 20-Catarina Macario, 9-Mallory Pugh (2-Trinity Rodman, 60)
Substitutions Not Used: 1-Alyssa Naeher, 3-Lynn Williams, 7-Ashley Hatch, 8-Sofia Huerta, 10-Jaelin Howell, 21-Aubrey Kingsbury
Head coach: Vlatko Andonovski
CZE: 1-Barbora Votíková; 2-Anna Dlasková, 4-Petra Bertholdová (Capt.), 19-Simona Necidová, 5-Gabriela Šlajsová; 11-Tereza Krejčiříková (22-Franny Cerny, 79), 12-Klára Cahynová, 18-Kamila Dubcová (8-Aneta Pochmanová, 90+2), 10-Kateřina Svitková; 9-Andrea Stašková (14-Klára Cvrčková, 90), 7-Lucie Martínková (6-Michaela Khýrová, 79)
Substitutions Not Used: 3-Kateřina Kotrčová, 13-Jitka Chlastáková, 15-Antonie Stárová, 16-Olivie Lukášová, 17-Tereza Szewieczková, 20-Kateřina Bužková, 21-Miroslava Mrázová, 23-Alexandra Vaníčková
Head coach: Karel Rada
Stats Summary: USA / CZE
Shots: 18 / 6
Shots on Goal: 8 / 1
Saves: 1 / 8
Corner Kicks: 4 / 0
Fouls: 9 / 10
Offside: 4 / 3
CZE — Klára Cahynová (Caution) 58th minute
Referee: Laura Fortunato (ARG)
Assistant Referee 1: Mariana De Almedia (ARG)
Assistant Referee 2: Daiana Milone (ARG)
4th Official: Maria Belen Carvajal (CHI)
Woman of the Match: Rose Lavelle
2022 SHEBELIEVES CUP STANDINGS