USL Academy League announces Southeast Division membership
TAMPA, Fla. – The United Soccer League (USL) confirmed on Thursday the founding members of the USL Academy League’s Southeast Division.
The inaugural season of Academy League play is due to kick off in spring 2021, and will provide clubs in all three of the USL’s senior divisions with an elite youth development and competition platform.
The structure of the USL Academy League provides USL clubs a model to develop local players for their Senior Team, at a lessened cost of traditional pre-professional academies. Doing so will also enable far more clubs and communities to participate, allowing for the regional division format which limits travel demand to teams and families.
The six clubs set to compete in the Southeast Division of the inaugural USL Academy League are as follows:
- Birmingham Legion FC: Birmingham, AL (USL Championship)
- East Atlanta FC: Atlanta, GA (USL League Two)
- Peachtree City MOBA: Atlanta, GA (USL League Two)
- South Carolina United: Columbia, SC (USL League Two)
- South Georgia Tormenta FC: Statesboro, GA (USL League One)
- Southern Soccer Academy: Atlanta, GA (USL League Two)
Regional alignment announcements continue on Monday with the unveiling of the Florida Division. For more information on the USL Academy League, visit usl-academy.com/academy-league.