Nine NWSL clubs taking part in U.S. Soccer Girls’ Development Academy
CHICAGO (Via NWSL) – Nine clubs from the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) are set to participate in the launch of the U.S. Soccer Girls’ Development Academy, which will begin its inaugural season September 2.
The opening weekend will feature 108 games across the country – highlighted by the Girls’ Academy’s first feature match in Somerset, N.J. between Sky Blue – PDA (Bernardsville, N.J.) and FC Virginia (Chantilly, Va.) in the U-16/17 age group (2002/2001 birth years). The game will be streamed live at 11 a.m. ET on the U.S. Soccer Development Academy Facebook Page.
Eleven youth teams affiliated with NWSL clubs are among the 69 member clubs with more than 6,000 players as the NWSL looks to promote and support the long-term growth of the women’s game with the development of world-class players and coaches through the Girls’ Academy.
List of NWSL affiliated clubs in U.S. Soccer Girls’ Development Academy:
- Boston Breakers Academy (Watertown, Mass.)
- FC Kansas City (Prairie Village, Kan.)
- Houston Dash (Houston)
- NC Courage (Raleigh, N.C.)
- Orlando Pride (Orlando, Fla.)
- Portland Thorns FC (Portland, Ore.)
- Seattle Reign Academy (Seattle, Wash.)
- Sky Blue – NYSC (Chappaqua, N.Y.)
- Sky Blue – PDA (Bernardsville, N.J.)
- Washington Spirit Academy – Baltimore Armour (Boyds, Md.)
- Washington Spirit Academy – Virginia (Fairfax, Va.)
The Girls’ Academy is the highest level of girls’ youth soccer in the U.S. and will prioritize individual development ahead of winning team trophies by shifting focus to training – with a minimum of four training sessions a week for each club.
The Academy will feature four age groups: U-14, U-15, U-16/17 and U-18/19 competing in seven divisions across the country – with clubs set to compete in a 10-month season from September to July that will include showcase competitions in the winter, spring and summer before culminating in the Academy Championships.