Get Recruited Faster with a Player Profile on


George Washington men’s soccer downs Howard 3-1 for first win

Strikers Logo

FAIRFAX, Va. (Via George Washington University) – The George Washington men’s soccer team scored three unanswered goals in the final 10 minutes of regulation in a 3-1 victory over Howard on Sunday evening at George Mason Stadium in the Kuykenstrong D.C. College Cup.

GW (1-1-0) scored three goals in a span of 5:46 to pick up their first victory of the season. Junior Garrett Heine, who scored the Colonials’ goal against American on Friday, and senior Philip McQuitty each had a goal and an assist, while freshman Alastair Berry netted his first collegiate goal.

After a scoreless first half, the match remained deadlocked at 0-0 for more than 30 minutes in the second stanza. In the 77th minute, Howard (0-2-0) was awarded a penalty kick, which Kyle Celestine converted for a 1-0 lead.

GW, which held a 14-4 shot advantage to that point, turned up the offensive pressure. Heine’s initial shot hit the post, but he fired his rebound back toward the net. Bison keeper Sam Howard made the stop but did not control the ball, which caromed back to Berry, who punched it in for the equalizer in the 82nd minute.

Heine scored the game-winner just 18 seconds later. Sophomore Oliver Curry sent a pass to McQuitty, who found Heine in an open space. Heine then finished from 10 yards out for his second goal in as many games.

McQuitty added an insurance marker in the 87th minute, taking the ball from midfield to the left corner of the box and finishing it in the top right corner of the net for the 3-1 final margin.

The Colonials outshot the Bison, 19-5, for the game, and Howard’s lone shot-on-goal was the penalty kick.

Senior Jack Lopez made his first career start in goal. Heine and McQuitty took five shots apiece to pace GW’s offense.

The Colonials return to action on Friday when they visit Cal State Fullerton. Kickoff is slated for 10:30 p.m. ET.

Featured Players

Forward, Midfielder
See Commitment List