Get Recruited Faster with a Player Profile on


Virginia Tech falls to Ohio State 1-0 in NCAA Tournament second round

Strikers Logo

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (Via Virginia Tech University) – The Virginia Tech women’s soccer team outshot Ohio State 20-5 for the game but a late second-half goal allowed the Buckeyes to win the second round NCAA Tournament matchup, 1-0.

The fourth-seeded Hokies, playing in the second round of the NCAA Tournament for the third-straight season, held a majority of possession and solid defensive play allowed Tech to outshoot Ohio State not only 20-5 overall but also 4-2 in shots on goal.

“I thought we had a good game plan and played some pretty good soccer tonight. However, we struggled to take our chances and score goals. We lacked a little passion in front of goal and that was the difference tonight. We were definitely the aggressor with shots, 20-5, and unfortunately it didn’t’ fall for us. We gave up a goal at a bad time. I’m proud of the team and the effort they’ve given this year. Sad for the seniors who’ve had a tremendous career for us,” head coach Chugger Adair said.

The No. 14 Hokies finish the season 15-4-2 overall while Ohio State is now 13-6-3.

Ashley Meier led Tech with seven shots while Coburn had three shots. Five other players recorded at least one shot. Kaylyn Smith made one save in goal.

Tech had multiple shots drift wide of the post in the second half. Madi Conyers settled and had an open shot off a Coburn corner kick that went a few yards wide. In the 72nd minute, Candace Cephers had a header off a short cross that rolled past the far post.

In the 77th minute, Ohio State was able to score the game-winner as Nichelle Prince had a shot deflect off a defender and into the net. The Hokies began pushing up and applying more pressure to the Buckeyes and recorded 10 shots in the final 12 minutes of the game.

In the 85th minute, Meier had two shots inside the penalty box blocked by Buckeye defenders before passing to Kallie Peurifoy who’s shot sailed high. The closest Tech came was a free kick from 25-yards in the 87th minute that Jordan Coburn hit over the wall but eventually hit the crossbar and came back into play.

In the 89th minute, Cephers forced a save from McVicker and the last shot for the Hokies was a header from Coburn in the 90th minute that went wide.

Tech started the game out applying pressure and recorded the first shot of the game in the 5th minute as Meier’s shot went wide. Tech’s defense prevented Ohio State from recording their first shot of the game until the 19th minute.

Coburn had a long-range shot in the 31st minute saved by Ohio State’s Jillian McVicker. Meier had another shot just two minutes later at the edge of the 6-yard box that went inches wide of the far post. At halftime, Tech had outshot Ohio State 5-1 and 1-0 in shots on goal.