U.S. U-20 WNT Set to face host Panama in Group B of CONCACAF U-20 Women’s Championship
With two 6-0 victories in its first two matches, the U.S. Under-20 Women’s National Team has qualified for the semifinals of the CONCACAF U-20 Women’s Championship along with host Panama. Both teams have six points after two Group B games. The USA will face off against the home team for the top spot in the group on Tuesday, March 6, at 7:30 p.m. ET.
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
GOALKEEPERS (2): 1-Bryane Heaberlin (North Carolina; St. Petersburg, Fla.), 18-Abby Smith (Dallas Texans; Dallas, Texas)
DEFENDERS (6): 19-Stephanie Amack (Mustang Blast; Pleasanton, Calif.), 17-Olivia Brannon (Virginia; Troy, Mich.) 4-Crystal Dunn (North Carolina; Rockville Centre, N.Y.), 5-Kassey Kallman (Florida State; Woodbury, Minn.), 2-Mollie Pathman (Duke; Durham, N.C.), 3-Cari Roccaro(Albertson Fury; East Islip, N.Y.)
MIDFIELDERS (6): 6-Morgan Brian (Virginia; St. Simons Island, Ga.), 12-Vanessa DiBernardo (Illinois; Naperville, Ill.), 8-Julie Johnston (Santa Clara; Mesa, Ariz.), 16-Sarah Killion (UCLA; Fort Wayne, Ind.), 10-Mandy Laddish (Notre Dame; Lee’s Summit, Mo.), 15-Samantha Mewis (UCLA; Hanson, Mass.)
FORWARDS (6): 13-Micaela Capelle (Portland; Gresham, Ore.), 20-Maya Hayes (Penn State; West Orange, N.J.), 11-Lindsey Horan (Colorado Rush; Golden, Colo.), 7-Kealia Ohai (North Carolina; Draper, Utah), 14-Katie Stengel (Wake Forest; Melbourne, Fla.), 9-Chioma Ubogagu (Stanford; Coppell, Texas)
GROUP B RESULTS
United States 6, Guatemala 0
Panama 2, Cuba 1
United States 6, Cuba 0
Panama 3, Guatemala 1
Guatemala vs. Cuba
Panama vs. United States
- Lindsey Horan and Katie Stengel are tied with three goals apiece in the tournament; Horan scored a hat trick against Guatemala, and Stengel had one against Guatemala and two against Cuba.
- Seven different players have scored for the U.S. in the first two games of the tournament; Stengel and Horan have three, Maya Hayes follows with two and Vanessa DiBernardo, Julie Johnston and Cari Roccaro each have one.
- Crystal Dunn, Hayes and Samantha Mewis are the three carryovers from the 2010 CONCACAF U-20 Women’s Championship.
- Dunn, Hayes and Mewis also played together at the 2008 CONCACAF U-17 Women’s Championship in Trinidad & Tobago, along with Morgan Brian.
- Five players represented the U.S. at the 2010 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup: Bryane Heaberlin, Dunn, Hayes, Mewis and Mollie Pathman.
- The majority of the players were born in 1992, with four players born in 1993 (Olivia Brannon, Brian, Heaberlin and Abby Smith) and three born in 1994 (Stephanie Amack, Horan and Roccaro).
- Four of the players are still in high school while the other 16 are in college.
- Two players on the roster have been named Gatorade National Girls’ Soccer Player of the Year: Pathman in 2009-10 and Brian in 2010-11.
- Hayes scored 31 goals for Penn State this season, garnering the Big Ten Forward of the Year award and being named a Hermann Trophy finalist.