SoccerWire.com readers cast more than 22,000 votes to select the Best 11 youth players during June-July 2016, recognizing top performances from the Super Y League, US Youth Soccer National Championships, PA Classics Mid-Atlantic Cup, US Club Soccer NPL Finals, US Club Soccer National Cup and US Youth Soccer Region I Championships.
A total of 30 players were on the ballot, with Parsippany SC ’03 U-13 Girls forward Henna Andican leading the way by receiving more than 6,400 total votes. Andican was nominated for her hat trick in a Super Y League match at Long Island, finding the net on three superb individual efforts to beat the opposing defense and goalkeeper.
The next leading vote-getter was Pipeline SC U-17 Boys forward Benjamin Alexander, who was one of only two U-17 players to find the net four times at the US Youth Soccer National Championships. His final two goals came at the best possible time, as he netted both the equalizer and the game-winner in the second half during his team’s 2-1 comeback victory to win the national title.
Another Super Y player, Nicola Rosamilia of Ironbound SC, came in third with more than 3,500 votes to his name. Rosamilia played a key role in leading Ironbound to a perfect 12-0-0 record on the season, led all Super Y League players in goals (19) and assists (15), and helped Ironbound Fever qualify for the third straight year for the North American Finals held at IMG Academy in December. Rosamilia, a member of US Club Soccer’s id2 team in 2016, scored nine goals and had five assists in his last three games.
Three other players – Craig Eichelberger (Calverton Cerritos U-16 Boys), Brendan McSorley (Ironbound SC U-14 Boys) and Tyler Champine (Campton United 98/97 MDL U-18 Boys) registered more than 1,000 votes each, taking the No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 spots in the Best 11.
Brandon Clegg (PWSI Courage U-18 Boys), Robert Alphin (CASL Academy Juniors U-13 Boys), Christian Edgerton (Campton United 98/97 MDL U-18 Boys), Bailey Cartwright (Pittsburgh Riverhounds Academy U-17 Girls) and Whitney Wiley (Vienna Youth Soccer Phoenix 99 U-16 Girls) earned the No. 7 through No. 11 spots, combining to earn nearly 3,000 votes.
The full list of players in this month’s voting was composed of all players submitted by coaches, technical directors and SoccerWire.com staff on the site’s ‘Players That Impressed’ feature, where any player submitted by a team or club coach has their outstanding performance recognized.
Each player selected for the Best 11 list receives a free featured college recruiting profile on SoccerWire.com.
SoccerWire.com June-July 2016 Best-11 Players
- Henna Andican – Forward for Parsippany SC ’03 U-13 Girls
- Benjamin Alexander – Forward for Pipeline SC Black U-17 Boys
- Nicola Rosamilia – Midfielder for Ironbound SC U-14 Boys
- Craig Eichelberger – Goalkeeper for Calverton Cerritos Soccer Academy U-16 Boys
- Brendan McSorley – Forward for Ironbound SC U-14 Boys
- Tyler Champine – Defender for Campton United 98/97 MDL U-18 Boys
- Brandon Clegg – Forward for PWSI Courage U-18 Boys
- Robert Alphin – Goalkeeper for CASL Academy Juniors U-13 Boys
- Christian Edgerton – Midfielder for Campton United 98/97 MDL U-18 Boys
- Bailey Cartwright – Midfielder for Pittsburgh Riverhounds Academy U-17 Girls
- Whitney Wiley – Midfielder for Vienna Youth Soccer Phoenix 99 U-16 Girls