International Women - News
Women’s World Cup Turfgate: Senators call on FIFA to use grass
A bipartisan group of 13 U.S. Senators – led by U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) – urged international soccer officials on Friday to consider holding 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup on natural grass fields instead of on turf.
Women’s World Cup TurfGate: An expert legal analysis of the players’ strategy
Many soccer fans know that a group of leading women's international players has appealed to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario to force the 2015 Women's World Cup to be played on grass rather than artificial turf. But relatively few observers outside Canada have a full understanding of the specific legal route selected by Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan and 60 or so of their colleagues, so SoccerWire.com turned to Elizabeth Cotignola, a Canadian-based lawyer and passionate fan of the beautiful game with experience in the legal systems on both sides of the border.
Mexico WNT have plenty of work to do in spite of earning Women’s World Cup berth
CHESTER, Pa. — They left it late, but Mexico’s women’s national team secured the third automatic qualifying berth to the Women’s World Cup after a late burst against Trinidad and Tobago to win 4-2 in extra time in the third-placed playoff in the CONCAC...
New Zealand becomes 22nd nation to qualify for 2015 Women’s World Cup
New Zealand is the 22nd nation to qualify for the FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015, booking its spot after winning the 2014 OFC Women's Nations Cup. New Zealand qualified after wrapping up the confederation tournament with three-straight wins.
Loudoun, VCU alum Lauryn Hutchinson stars for upstart Trinidad & Tobago WNT
CHESTER, Pa. — As Trinidad & Tobago made their underdog run to the semifinals of the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, a product of Loudoun Soccer, Dominion High School and Virginia Commonwealth University played a key role for her country. Lauryn Hutch...
In triumphant return home, Carli Lloyd key as USWNT sweep into Women’s World Cup
U.S. midfielder Carli Lloyd had already been tremendously impressive in the CONCACAF Women’s Championship as it traversed the United States, but she was desperate to cap things off right in a stadium near where she grew up.
Cedella Marley drives Jamaica women through tough period towards bright soccer future
PHILADELPHIA — Sometimes, winning games in the qualifying phase just is not quite enough, something the Jamaican women’s national team found out as they prepared for the 2014 CONCACAF Women’s Championship. The team was disbanded in 2008 and only restarte...
Costa Rica women secure World Cup spot, cap golden year for country’s soccer
It has been quite a year in Costa Rican soccer, and things went from strength to strength as their women’s national team secured automatic qualification for next year’s Women’s World Cup with a win in penalties over Trinidad and Tobago at PPL Park.
Christie Rampone celebrates 300 caps in style as USWNT qualifies for World Cup
It was a night of celebration at PPL Park for a number of reasons in the CONCACAF Women's Championship, as the United States Women’s National Team celebrated another qualification for the World Cup, and their captain Christie Rampone earned her 300th cap for the senior side.
Martinique reflect on tough but encouraging run in CONCACAF Women’s Championships
WASHINGTON — The smiles on the Martinique players’ and coaches’ faces after they scored lit up what was a dreary and damp evening at RFK Stadium on the second night of CONCACAF Women’s Championship play in the nation’s capital. It mattered little tha...
International Women - Notes & Boasts
- 11/18/14 Lianne Sanderson will miss 2015 NWSL season to focus on England Nation...
- 11/10/14 U.S. National Soccer Team Players Association: ‘Women’s Wo...
- 11/07/14 Turfgate: Full text of Senators’ letter to FIFA’s Sepp Bla...
- 10/30/14 Jurgen Klinsmann, Abby Wambach named to shortlist for FIFA awards
- 10/28/14 Mia Hamm added to AS Roma Board of Directors
- 10/22/14 U.S. Soccer, MLS partner with IMG to market media rights until 2022
- 08/22/14 England qualifies for the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- 07/31/14 U.S. WNT to face Mexico on Sept. 18 in Rochester, New York, in final w...
- 07/16/14 Canada announces Women’s U-20 roster for World Cup 2014
- 06/07/14 Jaime Frias named assistant coach with U.S. U-20 National Team
- 06/02/14 Abby Wambach has sprained left LCL, listed as day-to-day
- 05/30/14 Canada Soccer takes steps to prevent match-fixing
- 05/21/14 Thailand qualifies for 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- 03/19/14 U.S. Women’s National Team game against China PR on April 6 to b...
- 02/05/14 Canada’s Women’s National Team to host Germany and Japan in Vancouver