Leagues - News
US Youth Soccer hires Christopher Moore as first ever CEO
US Youth Soccer has announced Christopher S. Moore as its new Chief Executive Officer. Moore has more than 10 years of experience in business development and leadership positions, and he has been a proponent of improving health and wellness among the nation’s youth — reaching over 38 million kids in 73,000 schools through GENYOUth’s Fuel up to Play 60 program in partnership with the National Football League and National Dairy Council.
US Club Soccer hires a fighter as veteran MLS head Kevin Payne takes helm
US Club Soccer is one of the more ambitious, innovative organizations on the cluttered landscape of American youth soccer. But it’s a sad testament to their modest reputation that much of the reaction to news of their new CEO hiring this week was somethi...
USSF, MLS exec Kevin Payne named CEO of US Club Soccer
US Club Soccer has announced Kevin Payne as its new CEO, effective immediately.
U.S. Soccer announces U-12 Development Academy expansion; will it matter?
The U.S. Soccer Federation, in a Monday press release heralding an "unprecedented commitment to development of world-class players and coaches," announced the addition of an Under-12 age group to its Development Academy program. But will the addition of another, younger, age group solve some of the challenges facing youth development in the U.S.?
Stanford, MLS, Europe? What’s next for surprise USMNTer Jordan Morris?
Stanford forward Jordan Morris is widely hailed as the top prospect in NCAA men's soccer, and already made history as one of U.S. Men's National Team coach Jurgen Klinsmann's surprise callups after the World Cup. But where does the Seattle Sounders academy product belong? Tim Froh takes a look.
Young Mexican-American talents, Liga MX and the new soccer reality
Pull back the curtain on elite U.S. youth soccer and you'll discover a complex cadre of Mexican scouts, agents and profiteers, all intent on poaching the best and brightest young Mexican-American and Latino talents from their American clubs. Tim Froh takes a look at the benefits, and pitfalls, in front of these players and their families.
LA Galaxy go all in on youth movement with signing of 15-year-old GK Eric Lopez
On Monday, the LA Galaxy announced that it had signed 15-year-old goalkeeping prospect Eric Lopez to a contract with its reserve team, LA Galaxy II, making him the youngest player to ever sign with a USL PRO franchise. The move both confirms the Galaxy's ambitions for its academy and invites yet more questions about the opaque roster rules now governing player movement between USL and MLS.
The future of the MLS rookie experience (part 4 of 4)
At the beginning of this season, the Columbus Crew’s Aaron Schoenfeld was buried deep on the club’s bench and his stock was sinking fast. “He couldn’t get traction, he couldn’t get game time in preseason, so he was behind,” said Crew head ...
The dark side of the MLS rookie experience (part 3 of 4)
Coming out of the nurturing confines of college ball and tossed straight into the cutthroat world of professional sports, many rookies struggle to adapt, receiving little more than scant opportunities to prove themselves. If it’s not the daily grind of ...
The MLS rookie experience: Learning on the job (part 2 of 4)
One of the toughest challenges for any young soccer player is making it into the starting 11. For some players, making the 18-man roster is an achievement in its own right. Consider that in the past two years, rookie players drafted by the Portland Timbers hav...
Leagues - Notes & Boasts
- 01/23/15 PDL announces new alignment and playoff format
- 01/13/15 NWSL announces home openers for 2015 season
- 04/29/14 Eastern New York to host inaugural Champions Cup on June 21 in the Hud...
- 04/10/14 NSCAATV to host and highlight select NWSL games in 2014 season
- 04/03/14 North American Soccer League (NASL) relocates to New York City
- 03/11/14 Four longtime volunteers inducted into Long Island Junior Soccer Leagu...
- 03/07/14 NSCAATV to feature 2014 USL PRO games
- 02/21/14 Major League Soccer announces second annual Jersey Week
- 02/07/14 Top U-13/14 Development Academy team to be rewarded with trip to 2014...
- 02/06/14 Dr. Joseph Machnik named Director of Officials for NPSL
- 02/04/14 NWSL names Army Nationl Guard as official Armed Forces partner of the...
- 01/24/14 Rob Ryerson joins Atlantic Soccer League as Player ID Director
- 01/24/14 Staten Island Youth Soccer League inducts its Hall of Fame Class of 20...
- 01/20/14 USL PRO Combine coaches unveiled
- 01/20/14 NASL announces 2014 Player Combine schedule